HC 33-160 & DC 33-160 - Heat Exchanger Gasket Upgrade Program
It has come to our attention that a small number of HC 33-160 & DC 33-160 series boilers, manufactured before November 2016, have experienced a heat exchanger gasket failure. The gasket seals the heat exchanger to the heat exchanger front cover. In all known cases, the gasket deterioration and failure has been attributed to a lack of annual service in conjunction with a high number of burner operating hours. In extreme cases, the heat exchanger cover may warp and cause a leak or jacket discoloration, resulting in boiler shut down.
All HC and DC series appliances must be maintained and serviced annually by a licensed technician to ensure the appliance remains in an optimal operational state. If there is any concern about the appliance’s operating condition, turn off electrical power and gas supply and contact your heating contractor to have the appliance inspected. Identifying the Appliances: The affected HC 33-160 & DC 33-160 appliances were produced between July 2014 and November 2016, and can be identified with the date code in the serial number on the rating plate.
The rating plate is located on the outer right side of the appliance. Serial numbers affected include: HC 33-160 – 051577-1410k00314 to 051577-1611k04482DC 33-160 – 051537-1407k00001 to 051537-1611k04200 The serial number is located on the rating plate and includes the date of manufacture.
If you have identified an appliance as one of the affected appliances, please contact your installing contractor or a heating contractor of your choice. If the boiler jacket has been damaged, showing signs of overheating or leakage, the appliance must be turned off immediately. Action Required:
- If you have identified your appliance as one of the affected appliances, please contact your installing contractor or other heating technician of your choice. If the boiler jacket has been damaged, and/or if the appliance is showing signs of overheating or leakage, the appliance’s power and gas must be turned off immediately.
- Contractors must identify and inspect all applicable appliances, replace the red gasket with the replacement black gasket on affected appliances (the P-9163 kit includes a P-715 gasket kit), and perform annual maintenance (heat exchanger cleaning). Please see the gasket replacement instructions included within the P-715 Viton/black HX Gasket kit.)
- If the boiler jacket has been damaged, and/or if the appliance is showing signs of overheating or leakage, the appliances must be shut down and decommissioned immediately.
- Contractors will be compensated by IBC for the gasket replacement by completing the claim form included in the P-9163 kit. Further details regarding the reimbursement will be included in the P-9163 kit as well. The gasket replacement and annual maintenance must be completed as soon as possible.
- All HC and DC series appliances must be inspected and maintained annually to ensure it remains in an optimal operational state. Please see instructions for the recommended steps for appliance maintenance in Section 4 Maintenance in the Installation and Operating Instructions manual for your appliance. Contractors are encouraged to track and follow-up with their clients for their annual maintenance.